Your Comprehensive Guide to Buying a Shearling Coat this Winter
Posted on October 02 2023
If you're looking for a stylish, versatile, and warm outerwear option, consider investing in a shearling coat. Shearling coats have been a popular choice for many years, offering a unique combination of comfort and elegance.
Whether you're braving the winter chill or looking to make a fashion statement, a shearling coat is a timeless investment that combines style and functionality. Its rich history and enduring popularity make it a wardrobe essential for those seeking warmth, comfort, and a touch of luxury.
Before you make the decision to invest in one, it's important to understand the shearling coat, its pros and cons, and the factors to consider when buying one. In this article, we will explore all these aspects to help you make an informed decision.
Understanding the Shearling Coat
Shearling Coats: The Basics
A shearling coat is a type of outerwear made from sheepskin that still has the fleece attached. The fleece is typically left intact on the interior side of the coat, providing exceptional insulation and warmth. The exterior is suede or leather, giving the coat a luxurious appearance.
Shearling coats are not only known for their warmth but also for their durability. The natural fibers of the sheepskin make the coat resistant to wear and tear, ensuring that it can withstand the test of time. Shearling is also soft and supple, making it incredibly comfortable to wear.
One of the unique features of shearling coats is their ability to regulate body temperature. The fleece lining acts as a natural insulator, trapping air and keeping the body warm in cold weather. At the same time, it allows for breathability, preventing overheating when the temperature rises.
A Brief History of Shearling Coats
Being so popular today, it’s no surprise that shearling coats have been around for quite some time. Here are some highlights of the garment’s long history:
Shearling Coats Have Been Around Since Ancient Times
The history of shearling coats can be traced back to ancient times when they were used by nomadic tribes to protect themselves from extremely cold weather conditions. These early coats were simple in design, consisting of sheepskin with the fleece still intact. They provided essential warmth and insulation, helping the wearer to survive in harsh environments.
They Are Historical Status Symbols
As civilizations advanced, shearling coats became more than just a practical garment. They became adorned with decorative elements, such as fur trims and embroidered patterns, reflecting the cultural aesthetics of different regions. Shearling coats became a symbol of status and wealth, worn by royalty and the elite.
They Are Synonymous with Aviation
In the 20th century, shearling coats gained popularity among aviators and pilots. The natural insulation and softness of the shearling made it an ideal choice for those flying at high altitudes, where temperatures could drop significantly. These coats provided the necessary warmth and protection, allowing pilots to focus on their missions without being hindered by the cold.
Shearling coats have become a staple in the fashion industry thanks to their use in aviation. They are favored by both men and women for their timeless appeal and versatility. Shearling coats can be found in various styles, ranging from classic aviator jackets to long trench coats, catering to different fashion preferences.
They Are Now Ethically Produced
Nowadays, shearling coats are produced using sustainable and ethical practices. Many brands prioritize sourcing sheepskin from responsible suppliers, ensuring that the animals are treated humanely and that the production process has minimal environmental impact.
Even after such a long history, shearling coats are more popular now than ever before. Both fashionable and functional, these coats have stood the test of time as a wardrobe staple.
The Pros and Cons of Investing in a Shearling Coat
Before taking the plunge and buying a shearling coat, it’s important to carefully weigh the pros and cons. We’ve broken down some of the benefits and drawbacks of buying a shearling coat to help you make an informed decision.
Top Three Benefits of Owning a Shearling Coat
- Warmth: One of the key advantages of owning a shearling coat is its exceptional warmth. The natural insulation provided by the fleece keeps you cozy even in freezing temperatures. The dense, soft wool fibers trap heat close to your body, creating a microclimate of warmth. This makes shearling coats perfect for those chilly winter days when you want to stay snug and comfortable.
- Durability: Shearling coats are highly durable and can last for many years if properly cared for. The natural strength of the sheepskin combined with the tanning process makes shearling coats resistant to wear and tear. With proper maintenance, such as regular cleaning and conditioning, your shearling coat can become a long-lasting investment that will keep you warm for years to come.
- A Timeless Look: Shearling coats offer a timeless and classic style. Shearling coats have been a fashion staple for decades, and their popularity has only grown over the years. The luxurious texture and rich colors of shearling add a touch of elegance to any outfit. Whether you're dressing up for a formal event or going for a casual look, a shearling coat can effortlessly elevate your style.
Potential Drawbacks to Consider
- Cost: One of the main drawbacks of owning a shearling coat is the cost. Genuine shearling coats can be quite expensive due to the quality of the materials and craftsmanship involved. The process of sourcing high-quality sheepskin and the intricate tanning process contribute to the higher price tag. However, it's important to remember that investing in a genuine shearling coat is an investment in quality and longevity.
- Weight of the Coat: Shearling can be heavier compared to other outerwear options. The thickness and density of the fleece add weight to the coat, which can be a consideration for those who prefer lightweight garments. However, many people find the added weight to be comforting and reassuring, as it provides a sense of coziness and protection against the elements.
- High Maintenance: Compared to other outerwear options, shearling is high maintenance. Shearling coats require specific care and maintenance to preserve their quality and appearance. Regular cleaning and conditioning are essential to prevent the buildup of dirt and oils that can damage the sheepskin. When not in use, it is crucial to store the shearling coat properly. It is recommended to hang the coat in a cool and well-ventilated area to protect the material from mold and mildew. It's important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for care and consult with professionals if necessary. Those considering buying a shearling coat should be aware of the work needed to maintain the integrity of the garment.
What to Consider When Buying a Shearling Coat
When it comes to purchasing a shearling coat, there are several factors that should be taken into consideration. While the material and quality of the coat are crucial, other aspects such as price, value for money, and maintenance should also be examined closely. Let’s take a look at some things to keep in mind.
Material and Quality
One of the most important factors to consider when selecting a shearling coat is the material and quality. It is recommended to look for coats made from high-quality sheepskin with soft and supple leather or suede. The quality of the material not only affects the comfort and feel of the coat but also its durability and longevity. Inspecting the stitching and overall construction of the coat is essential to ensure that it is well-made and will withstand the test of time.
Price and Value for Money
Shearling coats come in a wide range of prices, so it is important to set a budget and determine the value for money you are seeking. While it may be tempting to opt for a cheaper coat, it is crucial to consider the long-term investment. A high-quality shearling coat, although more expensive initially, can last for many years if properly cared for.
Maintenance and Care
Proper maintenance and care are crucial to ensure that your shearling coat remains in excellent condition. Regular brushing is recommended to remove dirt and debris that may accumulate on the surface. This can be done using a soft-bristled brush or a specialized sheepskin brush. Brushing not only helps to keep the coat clean but also helps to maintain its natural luster and softness. In the case of stains or spills, spot cleaning can be done using a mild detergent or specialized sheepskin cleaner.
Styling Your Shearling Coat
When it comes to fashion, shearling coats are a true gem. Not only do they provide warmth and comfort, but they also offer incredible versatility. Whether you're heading out for a casual day with friends or attending a fancy event, shearling coats can effortlessly elevate your style. When styling your shearling coat, here are some points to keep in mind.
1. Take Advantage of Versatility
One of the fantastic attributes of shearling coats is their ability to adapt to any occasion. They can be dressed up for a formal event or dressed down for a relaxed brunch or stroll in the park. Shearling coats are extremely versatile and can be adapted to suit any event.
2. Pairing is Key
When it comes to styling your shearling coat, there are endless possibilities. Utilizing complementary colors and textures can take your outfit to the next level. For a timeless and sophisticated look, opt for neutral tones like black, brown, or beige. These colors not only blend seamlessly with your shearling coat but also give you a polished and refined appearance. Don’t be afraid to have fun and mix and match pieces in your wardrobe to create a unique and personalized look.
Making the Decision: Is a Shearling Coat Worth It?
Assess Your Wardrobe Needs
Before investing in a shearling coat, consider whether it aligns with your wardrobe needs and personal style. Reflect on the climate you live in, the occasions you'll wear it to, and whether it complements the existing pieces in your wardrobe. You can assess your wardrobe by considering the following:
- Practicality: It's important to think about the practicality of a shearling coat. If you live in a region with harsh winters and freezing temperatures, a shearling coat can provide the necessary insulation to keep you warm and cozy. Its natural insulating properties make it a popular choice among those who prioritize both style and functionality.
- Intended Use: Be sure to consider when and where you’ll be wearing the coat. Is it primarily for everyday use, or do you envision wearing it to special events or formal occasions? Shearling coats can be versatile, suitable for both casual and dressier outfits. The luxurious texture and timeless appeal of shearling make it a fashionable choice that can elevate any ensemble.
- Existing Wardrobe: Evaluate whether a shearling coat complements the existing pieces in your wardrobe. Take into account the colors, styles, and silhouettes of your current clothing items. A shearling coat can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to your overall look, but it's important to ensure that it harmonizes with your existing style aesthetic.
Weigh the Investment
Given the cost of shearling coats, it's important to carefully weigh the investment. Consider the longevity, versatility, and quality of the coat to determine if it's a worthwhile expenditure for you.
Shearling coats are known for their durability and longevity. With proper care and maintenance, they can last for many years, making them a wise investment in the long run. Unlike other trendy winter coats that may go out of style quickly, shearling coats have a timeless appeal that transcends seasonal trends, meaning you’ll be able to wear it year after year.
Quality is another crucial aspect to consider. Shearling coats are crafted from high-quality sheepskin, known for its softness and warmth. The meticulous craftsmanship and attention to detail that goes into creating a shearling coat contribute to its overall quality. Take the time to research different brands and read customer reviews to find a shearling coat that meets your standards. By investing in a well-made shearling coat, you can enjoy its luxurious feel and superior insulation.
The Takeaway on Shearling Coats: Should You Buy One?
A shearling coat can be a valuable addition to your winter wardrobe, offering both warmth and style. Before making a purchase, take the time to understand the different aspects of shearling coats and consider your personal needs and priorities. By doing so, you can make a well-informed decision and enjoy the benefits of owning a luxurious shearling coat.
Remember, a shearling coat is not just a fashion statement but also a practical investment. Its ability to keep you warm during the coldest months of the year, combined with its timeless appeal, makes it a versatile and long-lasting piece that can elevate your winter outfits. Moreover, the luxurious texture and superior craftsmanship of a shearling coat can make you feel sophisticated and stylish, boosting your self-esteem and leaving a lasting impression wherever you go.
So, whether you're strolling through snowy streets or attending a glamorous winter event, a shearling coat can be your trusted companion. Its ability to provide warmth, style, and durability make it a worthwhile investment that can enhance your winter wardrobe and become a cold weather staple for many winters to come.